Friday, January 13, 2012

Wooden Frame

A couple of weeks ago I started to make the 2nd frame for my R2. The first frame I made was based on some JAG blueprints that I had found.

My First Frame
It turned out nice for a first attempt but it had some deficiencies and I was ok with that. Then when one of my cats peed on the skirt and the rest of the frame had an untimely accident, I decided I would try my hand at the Senna Frame. I followed the prints to the best of my ability and ended up with some nice results.

Senna Frame (Unfinished)
I ended up having enough wood left over when planning the frame that I went right ahead and decided to see if I could get a second set out of the wood. I didn't have enough to make a complete second frame but I was able to get an extra .75" ring, .5" ring, and a complete set of uprights with 2 left over. I cut all the uprights at the same time to ensure that I had uniform cuts but left the rings alone. I figured I would wait and see how I did with the first set and if I needed to replace one I had the extra to cut as needed. Always nice to have extras. Anyway this leads us to where I stand today, The bottom ring had a rough cut center hole and I needed to clean it up. I decided to use my router with a trim bit and follow a guide to make a nice clean cut.

Bottom Ring with rough cut center
Bottom Ring after cut
In retrospect it would have been better if I had just used a jigsaw because the guide I was using for the trim bit moved when I was trimming the left side. I noticed it a bit too late. The cut looks bad but it isn't a big deal because it's hidden inside the R2. Lesson learned on this one.

After finishing the trimming I moved on to the top ring. This piece I had done no work on so I spent most of my time determining where I need to cut. I used the dimensions on the plans and then checked them against the bottom ring and everything lined up pretty close.

Upper Ring cut lines drawn out
Next step is to use the router and do some cutting. That however will be for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment