Thursday, January 26, 2012

Center Leg Ankle

I made some good progress today in my build. I was able to get the center leg ankles pretty much done. As mentioned in a previous post, I had taken a 6.25" diameter drainage pipe and cut a strip out of it to represent the arc of the ankles and then cut that strip into 4" pieces. Now I needed to cut an angle into the edge of the piece. Using some suggestions from other blogs that I've read, I set up the 4" piece as in the following photo.

Cutting the Angle in the PVC Arc for the Ankle
Setting the table saw blade at 35 degrees, I decided to practice on a scrap piece of the PVC before working on the good ones. Once I saw how the saw and PVC reacted to the cut I moved forward with the good pieces and ended up with a clean cut on the PVC.

Finished Ankle Cut
Once I finished the cut on the other piece I cut a piece of styrene to fit on the ends. In order to get a nice fit on the styrene, I cut the piece a little too big (not much) and decided I would sand it down. The end result turned out pretty nice. I repeated with the second ankle.

Completed Center Ankle
I still need to prime and paint but it's a little cold where I live so I decided that instead of painting the pieces in the garage and moving them to the basement to dry, I will just wait until spring and paint as many things as I can then and let them dry outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment