Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Center Leg

Today I was able to get the center leg for my R2 cut out. It consists of 2  .75" and 2   .5" pieces of plywood. The .75" pieces will be on the exterior of the leg and the .5" will make up the interior.

4 Pieces of the center leg (2 on left are interior, 2 on right are exterior)

I set up my router table so that I could get the nice arc on one of the .75" pieces of plywood. Once I was satisfied with the arc I had, I placed that piece on top of the uncut .75" piece and using the trim router bit was able to make and exact duplicate. For the interior .5" pieces, I found a straight piece of wood and used that as a guide for the trim router bit to get the nice angular cuts on one of the pieces. Again, once I was satisfied with what I had, I used the finished piece as a guide for the other .5" piece.

Center Leg Unglued
The above picture is a good idea of what the pieces of the leg will look like once they are glued together. As of now, the leg is more that likely longer than what I need, but until I see how it fits into R2 and how I will secure it, I don't want to cut it. You can always makes things shorter, a little more difficult making it longer though.

No comments:

Post a Comment